Friday, July 30, 2010

The 3 A's: Acknowledgement, Acceptance, and Ambition

Today, I had the harsh realization that I am, indeed, not even close to being "in shape." It's almost to the point where I believe that if you put me against Rosie O'Donnell in a foot race, I would come in second. However, with that being said, that isn't going to stop me. Sure, I can go run a mile, ride a bike for an hour at a gym, and even do excessive amounts of sit-ups but that did not come anywhere close to the fitness beast that is CrossFit. Pulling up to their facilities today was one of the most intimidating moments of my life. It almost felt like I was entering a secret society without the proper cloak and handshake. I had done a sufficient amount of research, forced Danica Bethel, Erin Brown and Kelley White into extensive conversations, and conjured up every reason imaginable that CrossFit wasn't for me. Fortunately, the answer was always that I did not have an excuse. The only thing standing in my way was myself. After giving myself quite a pep talk and calling myself a "sissy" for fifteen minutes, I finally decided that I wasn't going to let insecurity or intimidation keep me from taking the first steps.

Let me state for the record that whatever pre-conceived ideas that you may have about CrossFit being any kind of environment other than encouraging and supportive are based on a complete fallacy. This is something that the three people listed in the first paragraph pounded in my brain. I can't say that I have ever seen a group of people come together and want you to reach your goals as much as this team. Everyone was extremely welcoming, friendly and accepting. In the grand scheme of things, they have all been me. They have been the girl or guy that has set in their car feeling nothing but nervous and intimidated. Then I met Heidi. Heidi is one of the owners of Crossfit Amarillo. She has a knack for making you instantly feel comfortable in that environment. Everything I did, she was right there cheering me on and teaching me along the way. After my work-out, and I use the term "work-out" loosely because I nearly passed out and threw up before I finished, she took another 30 minutes to discuss proper nutrition on the Paleo diet and my fitness goals. They make it impossible to not want to go back. Today, I ran with a tire weighted down by 20 lbs attached to my waist. That's something I can honestly say I've never done.

This all leads me to the title of this blog: "The 3 A's: Acknowledgement, Acceptance, and Ambition". Without these three very important ingredients, it's impossible to achieve your desired fitness goals. The breakdown is basically this:

1. I acknowledge that I am not satisfied with my current physical fitness levels, weight, or appearance.
2. I accept that there is not a "miracle solution" and that I will have to push myself to extremes that are not familiar.
3. I have the ambition to make a difference in my life regardless of time, energy, and insecurities.

Most people say that 20 lbs isn't a lot of weight to lose, but it is. It's 20 extra pounds that I should not be carrying. I'm not doing this for vanity purposes. I'm doing it to be the best version of myself. I'm doing it to be healthy, challenged, and proud of myself. There is no way that I am stopping now. One, because I've made it a public declaration and I'm too proud to fail and two, because I refuse to be the only factor that holds me back.

I encourage each of you that are remotely interested in this to talk with people who are currently taking part in a CrossFit program and Paleo diet. Every one of them will say that it has changed their lives. I am fortunate to have such great friends taking place in the same program that support me and encourage me along the way.

Watch out, Rosie...I'm zoning in on first place.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! Keep pulling tires :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. I should be so brave as you and Erin. I mean literally that I SHOULD.

    ReplyDelete